Monday, October 15, 2012

Yummmm, Muffins




October 15, 2012 Monday

Dear Family,

I can't believe It’s another P-day already. Time seems to go so fast, yet, the days go by so slow. I think that’s a sign of working hard, or being lazy... or a combination. I'm just kidding... I'm not lazy, especially with Elder Hansen around. This past week has been rain about every single day. I thought I would love the rain since there is never any in Utah, but it starts to get annoying when you have to go out and street contact... but nobody is on the street because of the rain... that makes things rather difficult.
 I'll talk about our flat some more. Apparently the missionaries before us have never cleaned behind the fridge and washing machine... thus it look like Mordor back behind them... so we spent this morning cleaning and washing out those areas and man they reeked! We did another deep clean on our flat, trying to get everything nice and clean... but the only problem is that the leaking from the flat above was supposed to be fixed... but something is still leaking up there and our wall is growing mold like acne! It’s absolutely disgusting! I'll show you some pics... and so we need to get the flat agency in here to clean up this mess and the ceiling and everything! We might have to move flats if it gets any worse.


But besides me complaining about our flat, we had some enjoyable lessons with investigators. We met with a woman named Caroline who has been investigating the church for about 10 years... but won't be baptized because she can't go 30 days without smoking... so it’s kinda frustrating. The first thing I did when I met with her was challenged her to baptism and we had about a 2 and a half hour lesson with her. The Bishop came with us and shared a powerful testimony with her, so I think if we can follow up with her every day and encourage her to pray about giving up smoking that we can make a change in her life. Her daughter was also there. She is 13 and very smart... but she is very shy as well, so she doesn't like coming to church because she doesn't know the people. I shared some scriptures with her and I told her I'd bring my Book of Mormon picture book for her and show her what some of the prophets and people might have looked like from the Book of Mormon. She was very interested in that, so on our return appointment this week that is what I plan to share with her. Also, this week we met with one of my favorite investigators named Graham. He is married to Marianne, who is a member, but he has his own beliefs about God and doesn't want to be forced to do anything with the church... but he is my favorite person I have met. He has so many stories about being a soldier and he loves to share his life experiences with us. He's about 70 to 80 years old and he just has a fantastic personality. He's one of those people you talk about after your mission... so I'll have to share some of his stories with you later. Graham is very touchy about church though and likes us, the Elders, because we don't push him around to do stuff. We are just slowly working with him to get him to come to church with his wife and such. Either way, I love this guy.
I'll try to answer a few of the questions you guys asked me in previous emails. So mom, you asked about the mini-quad. Just keep it on back order because I'll be in this area for probably six months... that’s just how our mission works, so I don't believe I'll be going anywhere for a while. I'm glad to hear that you've already started knitting some warm gloves for me... I'm so excited for those, Mum. I'd also love a Costco card because we can walk to Costco in about a half hour from our flat and some things we'd love to get there would be like pancake mix, and those delicious muffins, etc. So if you want to send me a Costco card that would be awesome. Also, Mother, I just read your letter about ten minutes ago and I laughed because you were talking about how we need to stay on the lord's side of the line. It’s funny because we had about the same lesson in our priesthood lesson yesterday. That’s quite funny :) We were being taught from the teachings of Heber J. Grant and that was the lesson that we had was staying on the Lord's side of the line.
So, I got my Visa card at the Hyde park chapel just a few days ago when we went in for a training meeting. It looks like my original card and doesn't have a chip, so does it still work? I'll have to try it out today. Did you guys happen to send me another Visa Card with a chip? I'm not sure exactly what’s going on with all the credit card business. The Master Card I have is the only card that works here but I don't have a PIN number for it, thus I can't get cash off of it. Not very many stores here take side cards, and mine don't have the chip and pin. I did manage to check my bank account and I was pleased to see a nice wad of cash on my card. So, I believe that Mum got my last check from the Mckenzies right? I just wanted to make sure that I had gotten that check.
I think I covered everything. If you want to mail me anything just send it to the Mission Home or if you Amazon it just send it straight to my flat. I love you guys so much and I'm having a wonderful week. I'll share some cool pictures and drawings I've done with the small amount of free time that I have :)

 If you guys want more personal letters to each of you just send me a email or a letter and I'll respond back to it. I type faster than I had write... but I have more time for handwriting letters than emailing... so either way is practical to get a hold of me. I love all the pictures and I'm jealous I can't go to Big Springs or Cascade anymore. I'm glad to have been able to go that last time before my mission. That meant a lot to me. If there is anything I need I might send an email during the week when we do the progress report or something. All right... I think that is everything. I'll be writing hand written letters later today.  So, don't forget about me Pleaze :).


TTFN, Love your Elder Brother and Son,

Elder Bradley Smith









No comments:

Post a Comment