Monday, November 5, 2012

"Elder Shrek, I Presume"




Dear Family,

It’s Freaking Cold. And that’s all that’s really new around here... I get more trunky everyday. I love that word... Trunky. In missionary terms it means ready to go home or move to a new area. It’s been a decent week nobody new to teach or anything... go figure this is England but we did have our first Baptism! How sweet it is, the epitome of missionary work. Is that how you spell that? I have achieved what every missionary desires to do. Alright, I'm ready to come home, I baptized someone so I'm ready to leave this Gray place.
I'm just kidding. Our baptism was Charolette S. and it is a rather cool story. Basically, Charolette has been coming to church for years, but hasn't ever really felt the need to be baptized. After she attended EFY she randomly decided she would, and I just happened to be here... so I really didn't have to work hard to get this baptism...But it was a cool experience anyways. So I'll send you pictures of me and her family. Besides that I haven't had any really cool stories. 

As transfers were last week, we have a new missionary in our Area and he is hilarious. Elder Mckormack is from Scottland and is serving in Southend on Sea. While at a district meeting we were having lunch after our meeting and I was having a bowl of soup and bread. While I was eating Elder McKormack made the observation that I was an Ogre. I really wonder if my eating manners are that bad... but he said, " not bad ogre, a very polite and gentle ogre. Kinda like Shrek." So now I've heard everything. I'm now Shrek of the mission field. Kinda funny, but Mom I swear my manners are not bad, or else I'd probably not get any more dinner appointments... So that was just a funny experience.
I've heard so much from you guys in the way of home. I'm excited to see what the house looks like when I get home. I probably won't even recognize it when I get back because Dad will have changed everything. I heard about your iPhone dad... I'm already trunky enough as it is out here. Everyone here has an iPad or an iPhone and I got to show the Stringer family how to use their devices... because they are really computer illiterate. But there is a big Apple store at the Lakeside Shopping mall we were just in today and I saw a sign in front of the Apple store that said "due to the popularity of our products, we are sold out of "a large list of products" therefore we will not be able to service you today". Man, Apple is making bank on their products... and I saw the iPad mini... and I'm jealous about that one, too... but enough about my nerdiness.
It’s hard to live without my most basic electronics and I've learned to appreciate them so much more. Also, Mom, I swear I’ll never complain about food again. Please forgive me for being a complaining turd at the dinner table for the past 18 years. I have learned to appreciate all the food I’m given whether it be a stew or a gross looking plate of slop. I've learned to just like everything I'm given... except brussel sprouts... I just can't choke them down. I've tried over and over but I just end of throwing them up... or pretty close to it.
Also, my companion wants pictures of previous girls I've dated... which is kind of an odd thing, but if you want to include in the pictures you’re sending me some of my past prom pictures and dance pictures that would be nice. Also, could I get our cookie recipe, the one I always do I think it;s the Tollhouse one or something like that. Here's the link to Nestle's Tollhouse Cookies. And, Karen Acerson's Brownie recipe that would be great, as well. Here's the link to Karen's family brownie recipe. (Remember to use 100% butter. It is not as good with oil or Crisco.) Karen's Brownies Plus, I can do 5 full pull ups now. I feel like a champion. I'm improving and losing weight. I'm down to 217, soo.... I'm getting there. Word of Wisdom please give me strength... lol.
It gets dark here about 4 o clock so if you guys think you have it bad, its pitch dark here by four in the afternoon... England is pretty unreal. Besides that I'm glad to be here and see those pictures. I like your costumes guys. Shannon makes a pretty good Napoleon Dynamite. I'm doing just fine, just the days are really long and my bed is too nice and cozy so getting up in the mornings is difficult. But, I remember the 55 mile hike I did years ago and just tell myself, "I can do hard things". If this mission wasn't hard then there would be no point in coming out here. Everything is so dang expensive. I hate it... so if you ever want to top my bank account up please feel free... Anyways I love you guys so much. I'm having a good time in my second transfer and I only have 15 more to go... Anyways, I'll send you this week’s pictures. TTFN.

Love your Son and Older Brother,

Elder Bradley J. Smith


PS Halloween--the rats belong to the family of the person we baptized last Saturday. And I found the top hat in the church closet so it made a good costume. I called myself Abraham Lincoln, Vampire Hunter.




On Mon, Nov 5, 2012 at 4:31 PM, Karen Smith  wrote:

Hey,
Where is your email letter? Are you galvanting today?  I hope you're doing something fun on your P-day. 
Did you get any food? You were broke 10 days ago.  
I miss you!
Love,
MOMOMOMOMOMOM


Brad replied:  Yes mother I just sent you my letter. I got plenty of food don't worry. We just spent the day out at lakeside and I'm getting a haircut in a half hour. I hope you're still by the computer so you'll get this. Its been some long days out here and I hope I can last another 22 months. I miss your guys's voices already, even if its just Shannon and Whitney fighting together. I just need all the moral support I can get.

Thanks, 
Elder Shrek Smith






No comments:

Post a Comment